Winter HVAC Maintenance: Small steps for you to save big, and stay warm.
Homes today are different. Thankfully, fewer families need to stress over keeping the fire going as winter approaches. We have access to , wonderful technologies that manage, and sometimes even automate, our home temperature for us. These are called heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) Units. This doesn’t mean we get completely relieved of responsibilities, however. As we tend to share the same objectives this time of year, check out below for a list of some things to look out for. Tips to help keep your unit maintained this winter.
- Schedule maintenance just before the temperature begins to drop. We’d recommend October, but each area is different. Check out your local forecast and trust your judgment.
- Clear out the area around the unit. Make sure to remove leaves, branches, or any other debris that may have accumulated while you were busy being awesome at your other tasks.
- Inspect the outside of the unit. Harsh weather conditions can often lead to the building up of dirt and grime. Clean the exterior thoroughly, to the best of your ability.
- Pick a nice day when the weather is calm and turn off the unit. Open some windows to allow the home to air out. After confirming no fans are spinning, inspect the inside. Clear out debris if you come across any.
- Locate the control box and inspect it. Confirm all wiring and components are sturdy and not worn down. If anything seems like it could be on the verge of snapping or just breaking in general, prepare to have that part replaced.
- If you come across something, you’re unsure of, or if you don’t feel comfortable conducting an inspection yourself, contact a local HVAC company to get a pro to handle it for you.